Since Benjamin, the owner of La Grange Guitars, became a guitar builder, he had been eager to create a new "classic" instrument for the blues and rock guitar player. He wanted to come out with an original design with uncompromised playability and comfort that would look and feel familiar, an instrument with incredible responsiveness and sensitivity, able to produce a wide range of tones, from fat and juicy low ends to sparkling highs, through crunchy middles tones.
The Wheel is the result of this quest - a short scale (24.75") set neck guitar that combines a light soft wood korina body with a stiff neck made of two quarter sawn rock maple blanks and a purple heart stripe with an ebony fretboard. This original tone woods combination provides the twang and high end that you can't get on traditional short scale style guitars and your low end can be really fat and juicy without losing clarity.
Easy access to the upper frets is ensured by the original design of the cutaway and of the set neck joint. Fingerboard smooth rolled edges, body curves and a belly cut provide maximum comfort to the guitar.
Tyson Tone pickups (hand made in California) made the ultimate P90s set to match The Wheel and achieve the balance Benjamin was looking for between pickups. With the orange 22k capacitor and the treble bleed circuit, you can really dial in your tone using the volume and tone controls.
The Dog-Hair finish is Benjamin's favorite finish for The Wheel. It brings out the best of the korina body. But, you can ask for something else. Now, it is your time to play! Everything is in your hands!.
- Body: solid, light korina
- Neck: maple with a purple heart strip
- Fingerboard: Indian ebony
- Truss rod: double action, welded nut
- Headstock: faux shell inlay logo on a dark ebony veneer
- Neck shape: C shape (22mm/.866 at first fret – 23mm/.905 at 12th fret)
- Scale length: 24.75"
- Fingerboad radius: 12"
- Frets: 22 Jescar medium-jumbo Frets
- Nut: 42.6mm (1.68 in), unbleached bone
- Pickups: Tyson Tone custom P-90s set
- Bridge: Tune-O-Matic ABR1 nickel
- Tailpiece: aluminum with Tonepros locking studs
- Tuners: Gotoh vintage style
- Electronics: 3 ways toggle switch, CTS 250K volume & tone pots, 22k Orange cap, treble bleed circuit
- Knobs: amber
- Parts aging: light
- Strings: D'Addario nickel wound, 10-46
- Weight: 3.0 kg (6.6 lbs)
- Finish: black dog hair
- Case: hard shell black with logo