The JTM 18 Classic has an ECC83 (Marshall 2203) pre-amp, as well as an EF86 (VOX AC 15) preamp and, as is standard on all Gladius amps, the unique Variac power reduction. Only absolute state of the art components are used as well as manual wiring and the best possible tubes. An indispensable extra feature is the channel-patch which switches both channels together without having to use a conventional patch cable. Also the rhythm-lead switch allows you to play the amp real tight, without getting the usual sludgy sound when playing a Humbucker-guitar (an often criticized aspect of vintage amps). With the rhythm-lead function (clearly visible through different colors from the pilot light) as well as with the two preamps you get 4 completely different amps in one unit that can be switched with a foot pedal and an AB-Box!
If connected to a Gladius cabinet, you can play the box with 0.1 watt and it will perform without loss of tonal quality. You have to hear it to believe it.
From the JTM 18 Classic edition you get the explosive and lean tone (diode-rectification) from 69 until 73. Very similar to a 100 Plexi; open, stable and very percussive, without the usual sludgy vintage character. It generates an explosive quick response without even the slightest sense of sounding too aggressive or harsh. Fat and round like the vintage version but absolutely 'tight' like the sounds produced by artists such as Slash, Gary Moore or Ritchie Blackmore.
- Type: class A 230V
- Power: 0.1 watt to 18 watt (switchable)
- Output tubes: 2 x EL84
- Preamp tubes: 2 x 12AX7, 1 x ECC81, 1 x EF-86 (old stock)
- Rectifier: solid state
- Channels: 2
- EF86 input: hi (w/ channel-patch for both treble & normal inputs) & lo
- ECC83 input: hi & lo
- Controls, EF 86: volume, tone
- Controls, ECC83/81: volume, bass, middle, presence
- Back: 4/8/16 ohm switch, rhythm & lead footswitch, 6-step power scaler, 2 outputs
- Effect loop: parallel passive
- Colors: original black levant
- Weight: 8.6 kg
- Dimensions: 24cm x 49cm x 21cm