The KSR Artenis is a 3.5 channel, 100W, rack-mount, multi-mode guitar amplifier.
The Artemis™ line of amplifiers is KSR's latest and most advanced offering. They feature an unprecedented amount of programmable modes and features on each of their 3 channels. If the idea of having up to 144 different MIDI recallable tube tones at the touch of a button excites you, then this is your amp.
Built-in to this compact 3U x 15.5" rack mount package is a 100W power section capable of being loaded with 6L6GC, EL34, KT88, etc. tubes. A transparent, yet fully MIDI bypassable, effects loop couples the versatile preamp to the power section. After the hit of KSR's flagship product, the Colossus H-100™, they knew they needed to take it to the next level with an over-the-top rack mount amplifier.
The Artemis™ amplifier consists of 3.5 channels, each with its own gain, 3-band EQ, multiple individually switchable modes, and level controls.
This channel produces a wonderfully warm tone that aims to be the best of any channel switching amplifier. Where most other high gain amps seem to include a clean channel out of necessity rather than desire, the Artemis™ has a no-compromises clean channel with its own dedicated preamp tube voiced specifically for huge headroom and sparkling cleans. With the included Gain control on the clean channel, one can also dial in a very cool fat distortion. KSR also include three tone shaping switches for adjusting the response, voicing, and brightness of this channel for a total of 8 distinct clean tones.
This channel is shared with Lead 2. It produces a great sounding mid-gain distortion. One can easily play rock, blues, and country, and then take it over the top by engaging the gain boost Mode switch. Like all the channels in the Artemis™, the gain control for the crunch channel is usable over its entire range. It can even be dialed back to produce a clean sound at the edge of breakup, or cranked for a great rock tone. This channel is inherently touch sensitive and notes easily ring through the crunchy overdrive. It doesn’t compress the tone as much as the Lead channels, giving a more natural sound. One can utilize the switchable modes to shape the tone in up to 16 combinations. Even with all the tone shaping possibilities built-in to the amp, the Crunch channel also takes pedals wonderfully, infinitely expanding your tonal palette.
Lead 1 and Lead 2
KSR's Lead channels aim to give you one of the most unique, round, warm, yet extremely usable and cutting high gain tones available. The Lead 1 and Lead 2 channels have identical gain structure, and they differ only in their voicing. This voicing is actually switchable via the Voice switch on each lead channel. Lead 1 has two voices — a more upper-mid focused voice taken from the Andy Wood mod, and the standard Lead 1 voicing from the Colossus. These are great from rhythms and leads alike. Lead 2 also has two voices — one is the same as Lead 1 Voice on, and the other is Lead 2 from the Colossus.
Some players wonder why they would need two Lead channels. The beauty is one can easily dial in a nice medium to high-gain rhythm tone on one channel, and still have somewhere to go for solo cut in a band situation. Even if you choose to only have one Lead channel, you will have a whopping 96 recallable tone shaping possibilities on your single Lead channel. If you choose two channels, you will still have 64 options on each channel. These options are available on each independent Lead channel as a set of individual switches and indicators for all the switchable functions.
Every one of these tone shaping options are recallable via the front panel, foot switch and/or floor controller via RCI, and MIDI CC or PC commands. It is easy to see how the tweak-ability of the Lead channels allow one to dial in a large range of tones, from rock to death metal rhythms, and creamy blues solos to shred.
The Artemis™ features the same proven transparent and wonderfully performing effects loop from the Colossus H-100™. The loop circuit is true-bypassable via any of the normal means, and has independent Send and Return Level controls for maximum flexibility.
Dual master volumes allow for two overall performance levels to be set and recalled by the user. One player may prefer to set the second level as a solo-boost, others may prefer to use it as a volume cut.
The master section also includes power amp response controls, Top and Bottom. The Top control affects the response of the power section to treble frequencies, whereas the Bottom control affects the bass frequencies. These controls are great for dialing in the amp's response to different speaker cabinets. They also allow the player to optimize the amp for different master levels.
The power section consists of a quad of 6L6GC (stock) or EL34 tubes. A custom wound USA made output transformer is a top performer and one of the highlights of this amplifier. Parallel speaker outputs allow one to easily drive two cabinets with a total impedance of 4/8/16 ohms.
A slaved line-out allows one to tap the output of the power section in order to feed effects or additional power amps. This output is optionally isolated and balanced.
Another one of the unique features of this amplifier is its universal power input. This allows easy use by any player around the world and eliminates the need for power converters or transformer swaps for shipment to any international country.
The lit logo is standard on the Artemis, but a solid non-lit logo is available. The lit logo is capable of displaying any color for a number of different amp settings. This is all programmable via a menu system built-in to the front panel by placing the amp into a special mode.
A custom foot switch is available for the Artemis as an option. The amp is fully MIDI compatible, so the foot switch is not necessary if the player already has a MIDI based rig. Since KSR also offers advanced floor controller units that control their products natively via the RCI interface, one has a number of options at their disposal for complete control of the Artemis.
- Channel configurations: 3.5 channels total, Clean, Lead 1, Lead 2/Crunch
- EQ: 3 band EQ per channel
- Gain Mode switch: Crunch (normal/boost), Lead (mid-gain, normal, boosted, ultra-boosted)
- Fat switch: Clean, Crunch
- Thick / Fat switch: Lead (Thick and Fat combined with a multi-color LED indicator)
- Voice switch: Clean (low/high), Crunch (low/high), Lead (low/high)
- Bright switch: Clean, Crunch, Lead
- Clean channe controls: Gain, Bass, Middle, Treble, and Level knobs; Fat, Voice, Bright and Channel Select switches
- Crunch hannel ontrols: Gain, Bass, Middle, Treble, and Level knobs; Mode, Fat, Voice, Bright, and Channel Select switches
- Lead Channel Controls: Gain, Bass, Middle, Treble, and Level knobs; Mode, Fat/Thick, Voice, Bright, and Channel Select switches
- Master Controls: Master Volume 1, Master Volume 2, Top (Presence) and Bottom (Depth) knobs; Master Volume Select switch, Loop Bypass switch, Store (MIDI preset) switch
- Foot switch: Custom 7 button with multi-colored indicator LEDs, RCI™ (Rhodes Custom Interface), Controls Channel 1-3 select, Mode, Thick, Fat, Voice, Bright, Loop, Master, and Mute
- Remote controllable functions: Channel select, all switchable modes, master volume select, loop bypass, and mute
- Control Options: front panel, RCI™ (Rhodes Custom Interface), and MIDI
- MIDI: MIDI Input and Output / Thru
- MIDI Channel: Omni or Selectable, only for CC control
- MIDI Control: PC patch learning and direct CC control of individual functions
- MIDI Programming: automatic patch learning — setup for desired patch, press the Learn button, and transmit a MIDI PC to associate with that patch
- USB: for firmware upgrades and patch editor
- Bias test points: measure with any DMM capable of DC millivolts, 1 mV = 1 mA of plate current, assume 460 plate volts
- Bias adjustment pot location: on top of internal chassis, test points, guaranteed to bias properly with EL34 or 6L6GC tubes
- Output power: at least 100-120W with quartet, 50-60W with duet (two tubes removed)
- Output impedance: switchable between 4, 8, or 16 ohms into parallel jacks
- Line output: slaved power amp output tap with Level control
- Compliance: designed to comply with CE, UL, CSA, TUV, FCC, and RoHS standards
- Cabinet dimensions: 15.5" L x 19" W x 5.25" H
- Weight: 40 lbs
- Shipping dimensions: 24" L x 24" W x 10" H
- Shipping weight: 45 lbs
Price: $3,450.00 – $3,550.00 (depending on configuration)